untitlediconmonstr-facebook-4-icontwitter-512

Friday 16 January 2015

7 tips on how to survive that dreaded Long Haul Flight

For those of you to love to jet off away from the norm and occasionally love just a bit more than that European city break, you’d understand the pain that is long haul fights. Recently I travelled South East Asia to see my boyfriend, after 4 months of being apart! The trip was utterly amazing and I was so lucky to spend a whole month with him in the most amazing countries! But soon I had to face the horrific reality that was a long haul flight back to freezing London. FECK.
As I had to endure 24+ on long haul flights that pretty much makes me an almost an expert on surviving the dreaded things, so heres 7  ways to survive your dreaded long haul flight!

Get comfortable. 
Wear a super comfortable outfit for the plane. My favorite outfit for long-haul flights is a pair of stretchy leggings, a cotton tee, and dolly shoes and of course a fluffy jacket or scarf to use as a cover up or pillow! If you are thinking outfit disaster like I am, you can always freshen up and make yourself look more presentable when getting off the plane. Unless you want to meet the man of your dreams flying over Asia but let’s face it, comfort wins. Everytime.  

Pack an inflatable pillow. 
The pillows provided by the airplane are really only useful as lumbar support. If you intend on sleeping on the plane, pack an inflatable neck pillow. If you are lucky enough to get an adjustable  headrest then you are already one step ahead of the game.

Move around. 
Sitting for long periods of time can increase the risk of deep vein thrombosis and in non-scientific terms; a really numb bum.  Larger planes usually have space in the back to stretch (literally).  On my last flight from Singapore to Dubai, I stood in the back with the flight attendants twice for 30 minutes. I've learned that flight attendants usually have great travel stories to tell and free goodies so hit them up for a chat if you're bored.

Bring a sweater or an extra blanket. 
It may be 30 degrees down below but once youre in that airplane the aircon is turned on and without a jacket you are stuffed. Some aircrafts supply blankets, however these are usually very thin that they quite frankly do not keep you warm at all.
Travel with a warm sweater or a small travel blanket so that you'll be comfortable during the flight. Luckily I had my sarong to cocoon myself in with an Emirates blanket but don’t always count on that!

Choose an exit row. 
Exit rows have a ton of extra space and are often available for an extra fee. The worst thing is getting trapped in-between two sleeping people and having to wake them up several times cause you’ve drank too much wine.

Use an eye mask and ear plugs.
Depending on the time of day your flight takes off and the direction you're flying, it might be bright outside, making it difficult to fall asleep. It's also challenging to sleep when there's constant conversation, babies crying and noise from the meal service. Some airlines provide seat stickers so you can let the flight attendants know you don’t want to be disturbed but this doesn’t l=block out the noise. ­ Many international carriers give out a free amenity kit that includes these items. If your airline doesn't offer an eye mask and ear plugs, it's definitely worth investing in a set.

Try get upgraded.
When flying from London to Dubai I was a nervous wreck, while trying to keep myself together I got approached by Emirates staff who asked if I was flying alone and/or this was my first time travelling alone. All I had to do was say yes and I was automatically upgraded to business class! Unfortunately it is not that easy every time but the free champagne, business class seat and luxury lounge is worth the effort!


Soon to be blogged; My tips and favourite places to see in Asia. Good luck with your next long haul flight! x

No comments:

Post a Comment